Platforms summarize the priorities and positions of political parties at all levels. Here are links to the National and North Carolina Democratic platforms, followed by the full text of Dare Democrats’ platform for the county.
Dare County Democratic Party 2018–2019 Platform
Dare County Democrats take pride in our Democratic heritage as a party of diversity, inclusiveness, fairness and patriotic values; of economic security, environmental stewardship and educational opportunities; of compassion and social justice; of responsive and responsible leadership; and of fiscally sound government. We proudly stand on the following principles:
Jobs and Economic Security
We believe all citizens have a fundamental right to a job that provides a living wage and respects workers’ rights; access to affordable child and senior care; and the preservation of pension and retirement benefits. Therefore, we support efforts to:
- Promote responsible public access to the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area;
- Develop affordable housing that allows workers to live within a practical distance from their workplace;
- Sustain our tourism industry while diversifying the economic base of the county;
- Preserve the economic vitality of our commercial fishing, and boat building industries;
- Support the continued existence of the commercial fishing industry by ensuring fair representation on regulatory boards and science-based decision-making;
- Reduce the state tax burden on the working poor and reinstate the state Earned Income Credit;
- Strengthen and expand the social safety net so that we protect low-income Carolinians from the more extreme aspects of poverty and hardship, and provide a minimum standard of living free of shelter and food risk for those most at risk;
- Encourage policies and investments that promote smart growth of locally- owned small business; and
- Expand competition and diversity in governmental purchasing programs at all levels of government.ss.
Dare County’s pristine shoreline,, sounds, and estuaries are the foundation of our prosperity and must be preserved. Further, environmental policy should be based in sound science. Therefore, we support efforts to:
- Oppose offshore drilling because of the potential catastrophic effect on the ocean and our vital tourism and fishing industries;
- Accelerate development of renewable energy projects focusing on wind and solar including offshore wind farms;
Inventory and assess the sources of negative impacts on water quality and pass and enforce regulations to eliminate them;
- Institute a county program to improve water quality to protect public health, enhance our economy and safeguard marine life;
- Promote the conservation of energy and water resources and expand local recycling programs.
- Promote the reinstitution of the single-use plastic bag ban, and encourage retailers, citizens, and visitors to use reusable bags and containers; and
- Promote the use local plant species and smart landscaping, such as rain gardens and permeable drives, streets and walkways, to protect the local environment and minimize the impact of water runoff on our drain and sewage system.
Our community must provide an outstanding education to enhance the social, cultural, and civic development of our students and to promote economic development. Every student is entitled to receive an outstanding public education and every student and educator has a right to be safe at school. Therefore, we support efforts to:
- Ensure teacher salaries and benefits that result in the recruitment and retention of high quality teachers;
- Maintain programs in the arts, foreign languages and advanced studies in the face of legislative mandates funding cuts;
- Protect funding for pre-K programs;
- Increase the availability of high-quality pre-school care with an educational focus;
- Encourage our schools to educate the whole child where every student can be “healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged;” and
- Enhance access for adults to technical and vocational programs, industrial training, and occupational retraining
Dare County is the home of some of the first immigrants to New World. Immigration has long been a strength of our country. Foreign workers play an important role in Dare County labor force and are components of our culture and economic vitality. Therefore, we support efforts to:
- Reform our immigration laws to address the role of documented and undocumented workers in the economy and reflect the essential American values of openness and inclusion that have made this country strong; and
- Implement a permanent pathway to legal status (and citizenship) for undocumented minors brought to the country by their parent (dreamers).
We believe in the full and equal protection of the lives, liberties, rights, and properties of all regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, or sexual orientation. We encourage vigorous enforcement of existing civil rights laws and protection against unwarranted and unlawful interference in our private lives and personal decisions. Therefore, we support efforts to:
- Pass the Equal Rights Amendment
Our community must be safe and prepared for natural and man-made disasters. Preparation should include the necessary tools for law enforcement, firefighters, and all emergency response personnel. Gun violence has become a threat to our communities, our schools and our families, Therefore, we support efforts to:
- Ensure salaries and benefits that result in the recruitment and retention of high quality personnel;
- Expand sidewalks and bike paths throughout Dare County;
- Implement common sense gun safety regulations including closing the gun show loophole, banning bump stocks and large capacity magazines;
- Prohibit the sale of assault style weapons;
- Strengthen rules keeping weapon out of the hands of those adjudged mentally ill or on the ”no fly list;” and
- Enable research and the collection of data to understand the public health aspects of gun ownership and usage, and support the development of regulations that support public safety without infringing on 2nd Amendment rights.
Elections and Campaign Finance
We believe that every citizen has a right to vote without fear of intimidation or harassment. Further, voters should have absolute confidence in the fairness of political campaigns and public elections. Therefore, we support efforts to:
- Create an independent, nonpartisan commission for all legislative redistricting;
- Restore non-partisan elections for all state judges and the Dare County Board of Education;
- Protect the elections from outside interference;
- Insure voter registration processes that are open and accessible to all eligible voters;
- Protect and expand voters access to the polls by expanding early voting;
- Restore and expand public financing of elections including the statewide tax check off for political parties;
- Strengthen campaign finance laws and increase transparency in campaign finance reporting; and
- Impose reasonable limits on independent campaign expenditures.
Adopted at county convention March 24, 2018